We’re still working on the first few levels of RK, this week we’re play testing some tutorial prompts. These are still pretty early features so any feedback is appreciated!
Yep, we’ve actually been hard at work in the months since our last post.
The most obvious thing first: we changed the art style and redesigned Rock. The amount of effort required by the previous art style (which used 64x64 sprites) was a lot more than I could handle.
Also, it was too detailed. I would get sort of lost in the design of characters and tiles, spending hours fretting over dithering and shades. The new sprites we’re using are 32x32 and are much less detailed (thow I’m able to put more effort into animations, as you can see).
Changing the art style is just one of the changes we’ve been working really hard on, but I’ll elaborate on the others in future posts. It’s super late here and I kinda want to just publish this and get some sleep :D
We’ve submitted Rock Kickass to The 2014 Boston Festival of Indie Games (Boston FIG)!
“The Boston Festival of Indie Games celebrates independent game development in New England and neighboring regions…”
It’s September 13, 2014 at the MIT Johnson Athletic Center in Boston, MA. We’re still hard at work, so if we get accepted and you can make it to Boston FIG you’ll see an even better version of Rock Kickass!
Sorry about the potato video. We’re playing around with new sounds. Hint: they’re not 8-bit.
Another hint: they’re ‘realistic’ sounds.
Another Hint: oops, nope, that last one was actually the last hint. Ignore this.
Today felt like a good day to start working on Rocks’ base projectile weapon. It can fire pretty fast, but has less accuracy and damage.
Our collision system is working great, handling the projectile collisions without any changes. Also making a debut in this post is Rocks ability to Wall-cling and Wall-jump.
Be prepared to use those abilities a lot in Rock Kickass.
We’ve switched to a more structured process lately - gone are the “just throw shit together” days. We’re planning out our work load in 2 week sprints.
This Sprint was all about finalizing our tile-editor in unity and getting a reliable collision system working. We’ve achieved both of those goals way ahead of time and are now working on level design. Here’s a peek at the factory / laboratory levels we are working on.